Monday, September 8, 2008

Anniversary Weekend Part 1

To celebrate our anniversary, we enjoyed a "staycation" in Auckland. We filled the weekend with some special experiences in and around the city- take a look:

Saturday morning we woke up early and drove north of Auckland to Matakana. We had the most wonderful breakfast at the Matakana Patisserie, voted New Zealand's best bakery. From fresh bread, homemade donuts and muffins to quiche and gourmet sandwiches everything looked fantastic. Even my latte was pretty:

Afterwards, we strolled through the Matakana Farmers Market which is hosted every Saturday by this quaint little town. Not only can you pick up choice local produce and nibbles, but you can bring your knife, axe or sheers to be sharpened for free! Although this market may cater to the farming locals it also a very popular and trendy place for us Jafa's to get away for the day.

It was so enjoyable to walk around and enjoy the music and the food, we will definitely have to go back.

photos from Flickr

In the afternoon, we went horseback riding on Pakiri beach. I have had a love affair with the idea of horseback riding for years so this was definitely my pick of activities, but I think Mat ended up enjoy this much more than I did. For one thing, they put me on a horse named Stewart and he had anger management issues. Stew didn't like other horses and I feared for my life a few times when he started bucking and kicking. However, when I wasn't hanging on for dear life, I was dazzled by one of the most beautiful unspoiled landscapes I've ever seen. The beach was pretty much desolate besides our little group of 5 and for two hours we were guided along the beach and up through the dunes- stunning!




I'm sorry that I couldn't capture a picture of Mat (again, Stewart was a disaster and I couldn't even get close to Mat's horse to grab the camera- so much for the romantic notion of riding horses together into the sunset). As with many other athletic activities, Mat is naturally inclined. Not only did he look comfortable on the ride, he went on along with the more experienced riders to attempt a canter. What?!

We ended our day at Harbourside restaurant to enjoy some seafood and then hobbled our way back home on saddle sore legs. Will be back tomorrow to share what we did on Sunday!










0 comments: