Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Feeling Patriotic

Living so far away has allowed me a different lens through which to view my home country; I have learned a lot about the way Americans are perceived both good and bad. To view the election from half way around the world, surrounded by non-Americans, was a particularly special vantage point and was an experience I will certainly never forget.

Not only was it a historical day in American history, it was a day that I'll never forget personally for the indelible effect it had on my patriotism. Election coverage was broadcast for almost the entire day on New Zealands national TV channel and many Kiwis followed it closely; at about lunch time, the polls were closing so my team took a break to watch the states turn blue.
I was so proud to see Obama in Chicago and show my Kiwi friends; as an expat it was truly remarkable to see how the hope of a nation was infectious and touched the world yesterday.
I even brought in some patriotic cookies for the occasion which have been affectionately dubbed "Nutty Americans".

0 comments: